RAF station Aboukir was first utilised for Fleet Air Arm
use during the Abyssinian cries of 1935 when the Baffins of
812 and Seals of 825 squadrons form HMS GLORIOUS
were put ashore while the ship entered port at Alexandria.
These were soon followed by squadrons from HMS COURAGEOUS
which continued to visit the station through 1936.HMS
FURIOUS disembarked squadrons at the start of 1937. Aircraft
from these three Fleet Carriers were supported ashore at
Aboukir until the outbreak of the Second World War when RAF
Aboukir made space available for an R.N. Air Section to
lodge on the site.
No. 711 (Catapult) Squadron moved here from RAF
Kalafrana on August 19th 1939
to support its embarked
flights when their ships were in Egyptian ports. This
squadron was disbanded ion January 21st 1940 becoming No.
700 (Mediterranean) Squadron when all catapult
Flights/Squadrons were combined into a single squadron. 700
Squadron was responsible for supporting all disembarked
catapult flights in the Middle East, it moved to RAF St.
Jean D'Acr8 in April 1942.
On New Year's Day 1941 805 was reformed as a Two Seater
Fighter Squadron equipped with 12 Fulmar Is but
received some Brewster Buffalo single seat fighters. After
working up the squadron moved to RNAS Dekhelia on February
5th. Squadrons from HMS ILLUSTRIOUS made use of the station
during 1040, and HMS FURIOUS during 1941.
With the departure of &00 Squadron in April 1942 the RN
Air Section was unused and was probably withdrawn later that
year. Aboukir would only house one more FAA unit, in
February 1946 a communications flight, part of 775 Fleet
Requirements Unit at RNAS Dekhelia began operating Oxfords
from here. It was withdrawn on May 15th 1946.
Click here for a list of