Centre Fulham opened on March 1st 1942 as an R.N. Training
Cetre tinder the administration of the Rear Admiral, Naval
Air Stations with its accounts carried on the “books of
H.M.S. DAEDALUS”. It is not clear what type of training was
carried out at this establishment but it seems to ne allied
with R.N. Aircraft Training Establishment Watford which
opened in June of that year..
Commissioned as H.M.S. TURNSTONE
On New Year's Day 1944
R.N. Training Centre, Fulham (now referred to as R.N.
Aircraft Training Establishment (R.N.A.T.E.) Fulham), and R.N.A.T.E.
Watford were commissioned as
an combined independent command bearing the ship's name HMS
TURNSTONE. Accounts continued to be carried by H.M.S.
was closed on June 23rd 1944, R.N.A.T.E. Watford closed on
August 18th 1945and HMS TURNSTONE was paid off on this date.
Click here for a list of
Admiralty Fleet Orders:
A.F.O. 131/44 R.N. Aircraft Training Establishments,
Watford and Fulham - Commissioning as Independent Command
A.F.O. 514/44 H.M.S. “Turnstone”—Date of Commissioning
A.F.O. 5017/45 H.M.S. “Turnstone”—Closing Down