01 March 1947 as
H.M.S. Godwit on closure of R.N.A.S. Hinstock.
By end of 1949
By end of 1949
Central Naval Instrument Flying Training School
Advanced Single .Engine Conversion & Refresher Flying
Previously satellite to RNAS Hinstock
R.N. Air Station,
The airfield lies 5 miles S. by W. of Market Drayton and
¾ miles S. of the
village of Child's Ercall. Stoke on Trent lies 13 miles
N.E. and Shrewsbury 11 miles S.W. Birmingham lies 30
The Shropshire Union canal, running from Birmingham, through Market Drayton to Chester, passes 3½ miles N.E.; the river Tern, flowing S. towards its junction, 10½ miles S.W., with the Severn, passes ½ mile W.
ROAD AND RAIL ACCESS
Secondary road to Hodnet, and to Hinstock amend the main Market Drayton road. Hodnet railway station, 3¼ miles W.N.W., on the G.W.R. line to Market Drayton, where there is a junction with the L.M.S.;
Control building on W, side of landing area, in front tf
the technical buildings.
230' above M.S.L.
RUNWAYS /LANDING AREA
Three, concrete and wood chippings:
00/18 QDM. 003° /18° .... 1400 X 50 yds.
04/22 QDM. 043° /223° .... 2000 X 50 yds.
12/30 QDM. 120° /300° .... 1400 X 50 yds.
50' perimeter track.
90 ft. W/T. masts at S.E. extremity of the airfield
HOMING - VISUAL
APPROACH - VISUAL
APPROACH - RADIO
W/T and R/T:
Chiefs, P.O.s and ratings:
W.R.N.S. Chiefs, P.O.s and ratings;
in three sites, 2 in the main technical site on W. of
landing area, 2 in a site on the E of the landing area,
ad 1 SW. between the '12' & '04' ends of runways 04/22
?' x ?'
?' x ?'
Note: some materials reference 5 T2
FUEL AND OIL
Explosives area at SE. end of landing area.
BOMBING AND FIRING RANGES
List of first and second line squadrons, station
flight and other flying units based at this location
Engine Handling Unit.
Moved here from RNAS Worthy Down in August 1945
equipped with Whitley GR.VIIS which had been
specially fitted out as flying classrooms with fuel
flow-meters and other instruments, in which pilots
could be instructed in Merlin engine handling
techniques. Was to re-equip with Fortresses and
Lancasters, but was disbanded on 21 February 1946.
Naval Advanced Instrument Flying Training Unit.
Moved here from RNAS Donibristle on 15 August
1942 as the Beam Approach School, title later
changed to the Blind Approach School, and finally
(by April 1943) to the Naval Advanced Instrument
Flying School. Initially operating Oxfords with
Anson, Reliant, Tiger Moth, and Wellington XIs being
added during 1943; the Wellingtons were withdrawn by
the end of 1943 and Harvard IIbs, and later Harvard
IIIs, were added to the strength. Five detachments
operated with the main specialist flying schools at
RN Air Stations Crail, last Haven, Fearn, and
Yeovilton providing a short instrument flying course
for pupils. In addition there were three Rover
units; 'X' Flight (6 Oxfords and 2 Tiger Moths), T
Flight (2 Oxfords and a Harvard), and 'Z' Flight (5
Ansons) a Calibration Flight, responsible for the
development of landing and homing aids. By 1944
Squadron strength increased to over 100 aircraft,
mainly Oxfords, with smaller numbers of other types
also in use. From 28 February 1945 the squadron
began flying from RNAS Peplow, Hinstock's satellite
airfield; on 18 March 1946 the squadron absorbed
part of Ifo.798 Squadron, but was itself disbanded
on 14 May 1946, to become 'B' Flight of 780
Advanced Flying Training Unit.
Reformed at Hinstock on 28 March 1946 as an
Advanced Flying Training Unit equipped with an
assortment of Oxfords, Harvards, Fireflies and Tiger
Moths, and lancasters, the later being s based at
the Pcplow satellite. On 14 May 1946 the remnants of
No.758 Squadron were absorbed to form 'B' Flight;
this moved to RNAS Crail on 17 December 1946 to
operate as the Naval Instrument Flying Instructional
Flight. On 27 March 1947 780 squadron moved to RNAS
Advanced Single .Engine Conversion & Refresher
Flying Training Unit.
Moved here from RNAS
Halesworth on 28
November 1945, equipped with an assortment of
aircraft which included Barracudas, Fireflies,
Harvards, Seafires, and Tiger Moths. The squadron
concentrated on refresher and familiarisation
training; FAA ex-prisoners of war were given
refresher flying courses on Harvards, following
their return home. The squadron disbanded on 18
Hello, I served in the war at Godwit as a WREN map drawer. There were four of us on tall stools. I can't remember a lot about it apart from eliciting the odd tot from older chaps who gave it to soothe our stomachs! Iris Taylor nee Dutchman)