Latitude 01°04'33"S Longitude 146°52'47"E

   
ACQUISITION Lodger facilities on a U.S. Navy airstrip for RN Forward Aircraft Pool and Air Train test flight.

 

OPENED  May 1945

 

CLOSED 17 September 1945

 

   
C.O.  Lt. Commander (A) D. A. HORTON RNVR (P)  16 June 1945 to 17 October 1945
   
FUNCTION Forward area reserve aircraft pool holding combat ready front line aircraft. Fleet Air Train test flight

 

ADDRESS R.N.F.A.P

U.S. Naval  Air Station

Pityilu Is.

Papua New Guinea

 

LOCALITY

The airfield lies on the western half of Pityilu Is, one of a chain of small islands extending W. from the N tip of Los Negros Island; directly N. of the eastern end of Manus Island in the Admiralty Group.

Pityilu is mostly covered with palm trees; there is a a Rest & recreation facility occupies the S. half of the island..

There are three other airfields in the Admiralty Group. PONAM (runway 1665 yds) on Ponam Is., 22 miles W., MOMOTE (runway 2600 yds) and MOCKARENG (2 runways both 2665 yds) on Los Negros Is. distant about 12 miles SE.

 

LANDMARKS  

 

ROAD AND RAIL ACCESS None access by air or sea only.
   
   
CONTROL Control Tower inside perimeter track to S. of runway located at roughly the centre of the runway.

 

ELEVATION  8' above M.S.L.

 

RUNWAYS One, crushed coral.


13/31 QDM. 131°-311°.... 1835 x 50 yds. 

 

TRACKS  

 

OBSTRUCTIONS Navigation None.
Circuit Clear approach from both ends which are open to the sea. Coconut palm trees border runway on seaward side. 60 ft control tower with obstruction light on hardstand side of runway.
Approach None.

 

APPROACH No special approach recommended.

 

WIND INDICATOR  
   
   
HOMING - VISUAL By day None.
By night None.

 

HOMING--RADIO D/F None. Facilities on Los Negros Is.
Beacons None. YG and YJ beacons.

 

APPROACH - VISUAL By day None.
By night None.

 

APPROACH - RADIO None.

 

COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT M/F & H/F Transmitters & receivers supplied by USN
VH/F Transmitters & receivers supplied by USN

 

GROUND RADAR None.

   
   
ACCOMMODATION Living quarters in hutted camp at the NW. end of the island. American built Quonset Huts.


Capacity

Officers............................................?
Chiefs, P.O.s and ratings................... ?

 

 

ARMOURIES Not known

 

COMPASS BASE Not known

 

DISPERSAL Not known

 

HANGARS 2 Hangars  on site, details not known.

RN Forward Aircraft Poll  is equipped with portable canvas hangars, dimensions not known.

 

Number /Type Size Door Height Door Width
       
 
MEDICAL Not known

 

METEOROLOGICAL USN

 

FUEL AND OIL Aviation - Not known
M/T - Not known
Oil - Not known
   
TEST BASE Not known

 

TEST BUTT Not known

 

WORKSHOPS Mobile workshops only.

 

EXPLOSIVES  

 

BOMBING AND FIRING RANGES None.
   
   

Information taken from CB 4368 B. Admiralty Handbook of Naval Air Stations Aug. 45 & Airdromes Guide Southwest Pacific Area Dec. 1944


 

List of first and second line squadrons, station flight and other flying units based at this location

 
  No squadron use recorded at this station

 

 

 

One of a chain of small islands extending W from the N tip of Los Negros Island; directly N of the eastern end of Manus Island #

Built by US Navy 71st Seabees, a single runway 5,500' x 150' running roughly northwest to southeast. A taxiway and hardstand area was located on the western side of the runway. The control tower was located at roughly the centre of the runway.

 

The 71st Battalion set up a base for carrier planes on Pityilu, to care for one patrol squadron, to service and repair all types of carrier-based planes, and to provide storage for 350 of these planes, with camp accommodations for 350 officers and 1,400 men. The coral-surfaced runway measured 4,500 by 300 feet, with taxiway and three parking areas. Prefabricated steel huts were erected for administration, operations, and shop use. Other facilities included a 7,000-barrel aviation gasoline tank farm with sea-loading line, one prefabricated nose hangar, and munition dumps.

Later, the field was extended 1,000 feet; parking areas were increased; the camp was enlarged to accommodate 2,500 men; and the dispensary was developed into a 100-bed hospital with all facilities.

The eastern end of Pityilu Island was cleared, graded, and made into a fleet recreation center to accommodate 10,000 men at one time.


 

Click here for a list of Primary sources


Additional sources:

Airdromes Guide Southwest Pacific Area Second Edition Dec 1944

Published by Authority of the Commanding General, Army Air Forces Office of the Assistant Chief of Air Staff, A-3 Headquarters Far East Air Forces

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Image from Airdromes Guide Southwest Pacific Area Second Edition Dec 1944

 


View Larger Map

 

 

 

Pityilu Island seen looking east, the single coral runway is clearly visible

 

 

 

 

 © 2013 Tony Drury www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk


Comments

No comments yet.

Add Comment

 

 Click to refresh the page after posting your comment or to hide the form