Royal Navy Research Archive Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LC(i) 178... ?  (Read 725 times)

Chris82

• New Recruit
LC(i) 178... ?
« on: 19 June 2024 09:58:17 am »

Hello there,

My name is Chris and I am researching LC(i) 178 - the landing craft that my grandfather embarked to head to France in July 1944 with the Royal Artillery and was wondering if anyone has any information on her, or can point my in the right direction to find out more.

As you can see from the attached, he embarked on the 19th July and arrived in NWE on the 20th. What I am keen to find out is which port she sailed from in the UK and where she landed troops in Normandy. By that stage of the Battle of Normandy, I would guess it would have been at the Mulberry harbour but I dont know.

Also as a slight twist in the tail, another document (also attached) suggests on the 12th July he was at Tilbury Docks, along with vehicles (he was in 418 Bty, 125 LAA Rgt RA). Obviously "vehicles" couldn't go on an LCI, so it suggests that an LCT was involved at some point. Were records kept of who went on which ship - a passenger manifest if you like? to work out if he didnt indeed go on LCI178 or an LCT?

He didnt speak much of the war but I do believe he was camped near Portsmouth before going over which would make operational sense for the crossing to Normandy (i.e. rather than sending a ship full of troops through the narrowest part of the channel to get from Tilbury to Normandy!); but that doesnt explain being at Tilbury a week before embarking. You will see in the 2nd attachment that one of the columns is headed "List Index No." - would that be a list of everyone in that group of men? would those lists still exist?

Many thanks for your time and help!

Chris

Pages: [1]   Go Up