Information about applying for lapel badges/emblems

and medals issued by the UK Ministry of Defence





 UK Armed Forces Veterans Lapel Badge



Did you serve in HM Armed Forces? This lapel badge is available free to anyone who served in the UK Armed Forces. Currently (2006) requests for badges are accepted only from people whose Service began before 31 December 1969.   Click here for more information  or Click here for application form




 UK Merchant Seafarers Veteran’s Badge



The badge is available to all Merchant Navy seafarers and fishermen who served in a vessel at a time when it was operated to facilitate military operations by UK Armed Forces at any time prior to 31 December 1969

Click here for more information  or Click here for application form





 The Arctic Emblem



The Arctic Emblem has been specially commissioned to commemorate the service of Merchant Seamen and members of the Armed Forces in the icy waters of the Arctic Region between 3 September 1939 and 8 May 1945.

Click here for more information or Click here for application form





 Legion D´Honneur



Veterans who took part in military operations in France (and French waters) between 1944 and 1945 both in the landings and in support roles may be eligible to receive the award of Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur from the French Government.
Requests to the Ministry of Defence, who will verify eligibility and forward the details to the French authorities, who will then make the final decision on the awards. Click here to go to the MOD page which contains the downloadable form and details of where to submit it.







This new WW2 campaign medal was approved by the Queen in 2012

Awarded to members of the British Armed Forces and the Merchant Navy who served North of the Arctic Circle (66° 32’ North Latitude ) during the qualifying period of service is 3 September 1939 to 8 May 1945



Other Medals & Awards


WW2 Medals. Opens in a new window.


For information on medals and awards please visit the Ministry of defence.

To claim a medals visit



Requesting replacement medals



The Medal Office will only issue replacement medals from World War II and onwards to service veterans, or if deceased, the next of kin who holds the medals. The Medal Office is unable to replace medals issued before World War II, such as World War I medals, under any circumstances.

A replacement medal will only be re-issued to the medal holder if the loss is completely beyond their control, such as a burglary, street theft or house fire. The medal holder will also be responsible for the cost of the replacement medal.

To apply for a replacement medal under these circumstances, you should provide in writing:

details of the incident (ie. burglary, fire etc), and supporting evidence from the time of loss (a copy of a successful insurance claim, or a Police crime report which contains reference to the loss of the medals).


If these criteria are met, then the Medal Office can issue replacement medals. The Medal Office will also check official records to confirm that the medals requested had been awarded to you or your relative. If you are not entitled to a replacement, you can buy a replica medal from a specialist medal company, or reputable medal dealer.




Information contained on this page is drawn from

the Veteran's Agency  at

and the Ministry of Defences at



Information last verified August 2017


 go to the top